Mr. R. Duckworth
asked the Minister of Supply what is the composition of the Penicillin Committee; and what are the connections in the drug trade of each member.
§ Sir A. Duncan
I am glad to be able to record that Sir Henry Dale, President of the Royal Society, has felt able to accept the invitation of the Penicillin Committee to be their Chairman. Mr. Arthur Mortimer, until recently the Chairman, will continue to be a member of the Committee and act as Vice-Chairman.
The composition of the Committee is as follows:
Sir Henry Dale, G.B.E., F.R.S., M.A. M.D., D.Sc. LL.D., F.R.C.P.: President of the Royal Society.
Mr. Arthur Mortimer, O.B.E., M.P.S., Barrister-at-Law, Deputy Director of Medical Supplies, Ministry of Supply>
- Dr. V. D. Allison, M.D., M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O., D.P.H.: Ministry of Health.
- Lieutenant-Colonel H. J. Bensted, M.C., M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P.: Army Medical Department, War Office.
- Professor R. V. Christie, M.D., M.Sc., D.Sc., F.R.C.P.: Medical Research Council.
- Dr. A. N. Drury, F.R.S., M.A., M.D., M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P.: Medical Research Council.
- Professor A. Fleming, M.B., B.S., F.R.C.S.: St Mary's Hospital.
- Professor H. W. Florey, F.R.S., M.B., B.S., M.A., B.Sc., Ph.D.: School of Pathology, University of Oxford
- Dr. C. R. Harington, F.R.S., M.A., Ph.D.: Medical Research Council.
- Professor I. M. Heilbron, D.S.O., F.R.S., D.Sc., Ph.D., LL.D., F.I.C: Professor of Organic Chemistry, Imperial College of Science and Technology, and Scientific Adviser to the Ministry of Production.
- Professor R. P. Linstead, F.R.S., D.Sc.: Deputy Director of Scientific Research, Ministry of Supply.
- Professor H. Raistrick, F.R.S., Sc.D., D.Sc., F.I.C.: London School of Hygiene.
- Professor Sir Robert Robinson, F.R.S., M.A., F.I.C., LL.D.: The Dyson Perrins Laboratory, University of Oxford.
- Colonel Sir Russell Wilkinson, K.C.V.O., M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P.: Military Medical Adviser to the Ministry of Supply.
Together with representatives of firms engaged in the production of penicillin.
The representatives of the firms engaged in the production of penicillin have their obvious connections with the drug trade.