§ Mr. Thurtle
asked the Minister of Labour whether he can state the conditions governing rent allowance made by the advisory committee for London No. 1 district, under the Unemployment Assistance Board?
§ Mr. E. Brown
I assume that the hon. Member refers to the Advisory Committee set up by the Board for the district which includes Hackney, Shoreditch and Stepney. This committee has recommended that for the purposes of subparagraph (2) (a) of paragraph r of the First Schedule to the Unemployment Assistance (Determination of Need and Assessment of Needs) Regulations, 1936, 1524W the amounts ascertained under subparagraph 1 of paragraph 1 of the Schedule should be increased or reduced as follows:
(1) Where the net rent is greater than one-quarter of the total of the scale rates of all members of the household, the amount ascertained as aforesaid should be increased by the lesser of the two following sums:
- (a) the amount by which the net rent is greater than one-quarter of the scale rates;
- (b) the difference between one-quarter and one-third of the scale rates.
(2) Where the net rent is greater than one-third of the total scale rates of all members of the household, the amount up to 2s. 6d. by which the net rent is greater than one-third should be allowed.
(3) 'Where the net rent is less than one-quarter of the total of the scale rates of all members of the household, the amount ascertained as aforesaid should be reduced by the extent of the difference between the net rent and one-quarter of the total scale rates, but that in cases where the difference is less than one shilling there should be no reduction.
These recommendations have been accepted by the Board.