§ Mr. N. MACLEAN
asked the Secretary of State for Scotland the various rates of pay and war bonus of the Scottish prison warders; how long does it take an ordinary warder to reach his maximum rate of pay; whether the pay and general conditions of service of these officers were assimilated with those obtaining in the English prison service and, if so, what was the date or year of the assimilation; and if the rent, subsistence and removal allowances granted in England and Wales formally apply to the Scottish warders
§ Sir G. COLLINS
In consequence of the Government's decision to consolidate the salary and bonus of civil servants as from 1st July, 1934, the remuneration of Scottish prison warders, exclusive of all allowances, has been consolidated as from that date at the rates set out in Table I below, subject to the proviso that so long as half the emergency reductions remain in force, the rates of remuneration will be as set out in Table II below. An ordinary warder reaches the maximum of his grade after 20 years. The pay and general conditions of service of the English and Scottish Prisons Services were generally assimilated in accordance with the recommendations of the Stanhope Committee's Report, which came into operation on 1st October, 1923. Differences of circumstances in certain respects, however, require to be taken into account. As regards the last part of the question, the rules governing lodging, subsistence and removal expenses differ as in the two countries, those applying to the Scottish service being designed to meet the special conditions obtaining therein. In accordance with the reply given to the hon. Member on 14th February last, I am looking into the question of removal expenses.
Rates at which Weekly Remuneration of Warders in the Scottish Prisons Service has been consolidated as from 1st July, 1934.
- (Subject meantime to deduction of one-halt of former emergency reductions.)
- Head Warders (Peterhead and Barlinnie Prisons)-Minimum 108s. 16. rising in 3 years to maximum of 122s. 5d.
- Head Warders (other Prisons)—Minimum 85s. 8d. rising in.5 years to maximum of 104s. 5d.
- Engineer Warders, Class 1—Minimum 85s. 8d. rising in 3 years to maximum of 93s. 2d.
- Engineer Warders, Class II—Minimum 78s. ld. rising in 3 years to maximum of 85s. 8d.
- Engineer Warders, Class III—Minimum 60s. 3d. rising in 9 years to maximum of 76s. 3d.
- Warders, Class I—Minimum 70s. 10d. rising in 4 years to maximum of 80s. 7d.
- Warders—Minimum 45s. 11d. rising in 6 years to 55s. 1d., in 10 years to 62s. 7d., in 15 years to 64s. 11d., in 20 years to maximum of 67s. 3d.
- Head Store Warders-Minimum 79s. 4d. rising in 5 years to 91s. 11d., in 12 years to maximum of 98s. 2d.
- Store Warders—Minimum 55s. 1d. rising in 11 years to maximum of 74s. 4d.
Rates of Weekly Remuneration of Warders in the Scottish Prisons Service from 1st July, 1934, until remaining half of emergency reductions in force prior to that date shall be restored.
- Head Warders (Peterhead and Barlinnie Prisons)—Minimum 106s. 9d. rising in 3 years to maximum of 120s. 11d.
- Head Warders (other Prisons)—Minimum 84s. 6d. rising in 5 years to maximum of 103s. ld.
- Engineer Warders, Class I—Minimum 84s. 6d. rising in 3 years to maximum of 91s. 11d.
- Engineer Warders, Class II—Minimum 77s. rising in 3 years to maximum of Ms. 6d.
- Engineer Warders, Class III—Minimum 58s. 10d. rising in 9 years to maximum of 75s. 2d.
- Warders, Class I—Minimum 69s. 8d. rising in 4 years to maximum of 79s. 6d.
- Warders—Minimum 44s. 9d. rising in 6 years to 53s. 10d., in 10 years to 61s. 3d., in 15 years to 63s. 8d., in 20 years to maximum of 66s. 1d.
- Head Store Warders—Minimum 78s. 3d. rising in 5 years to 90s. 8d., in 12 years to maximum of 96s. 11d.
- Store Warders—Minimum 53s. 10d. rising in 11 years to maximum of 73s. 3d.