§ Major PRESCOTT
asked the First Commissioner of Works to what extent his Department is assisting the Minister of Health in connection with the preparation of plans for, and the building of, new houses; and if he will give the number and salaries of the additional staff he has appointed for this purpose?
§ Sir A. MOND
My Department is assisting the Minister of Health in the matter of housing in two directions:—
- (1) In the conversion of empty properties in London into flats. Work of this character has been completed or is in progress in the following boroughs: Kensington, Lewisham, Paddington, Stepney, Islington and Greenwich. In all, 72 empty houses will provide 288 flats at an estimated cost of £127,500. Further schemes are being considered for similar work in 16 boroughs at a total estimated cost of £130,000.
- (2) In the erection of new houses or blocks of flats. The work of this character now in progress is as follows:—;
Scheme. Number of Houses or Flats. Estimated Cost. Poplar— Isle of Dogs 120 houses 98,900 Shoreditch— New North Road Block of 40 flats 21,800 Crondall Street Block of 70 flats 45,000 Teal Street Block of 55 flats 40,000 Camberwell— Casino House Site 154 houses 130,000 Hawkslade Road site. 84 houses 72,000 Lambury Road Site. 52 houses 45,000
Further schemes are also under consideration for the erection of approximately 4,250 houses.
The work is carried out by a special section consisting at present of the following:—
- One acting architect at £550 per annum and war bonus.
- Three acting assistant architects at £350 per annum and war bonus.
- Two acting assistant architects at £250 per annum and war bonus.
- Twenty-five architectural assistants and draughtsman at total salaries ranging from £3 5s. to £10 10s. a week.
But this staff is also engaged on other housing schemes with which the Ministry of Health is not concerned, and on winding up the work undertaken by my Department for the Ministry of Shipping at the national shipyards.