§ 2.—(1) Sub-paragraph (2) applies if—
- (a) a freehold or leasehold interest in land is held by a local education authority,
- (b) at any time in the period of 5 years ending with the day on which this Act is passed the land was used wholly or mainly for the purposes of a county school or community school, and
- (c) the authority proposes to make a disposal in respect of the interest, or to enter into a contract to make a disposal in respect of it, or to grant an option to make an acquisition in respect of it.
§ (2) Unless the Secretary of State consents, the authority must not make the disposal or enter into the contract or grant the option.
§ (3) Sub-paragraph (2) does not apply to a disposal made in pursuance of a contract made, or option granted, before the coming into force of this paragraph.
§ (4) Sub-paragraph (2) does not apply to—
- (a) a disposal in favour of a person for the purposes of a city academy and for no consideration;
- (b) a contract to make such a disposal;
- (c) a grant of an option for a person to make an acquisition for the purposes of a city academy and for no consideration.
§ (5) A disposal or contract or grant is not invalid by reason only that it is made in contravention of sub-paragraph (2).
§ (6) A person acquiring an interest in land or entering into a contract to acquire it is not to be concerned to enquire whether consent required by sub-paragraph (2) has been given.
§ 3.—(1) This paragraph applies if an authority makes a disposal or enters into a contract or grants an option in contravention of paragraph 2(2).
§ (2) In the case of a grant of an option, the Secretary of State may by notice served on the option holder repudiate the option at any time before it is exercised.
§ (3) In the case of a contract to make a disposal in respect of an interest, the Secretary of State may by notice served on the other party to the contract repudiate it at any time before a conveyance of the interest concerned is executed.
§ (4) A repudiation under sub-paragraph (2) or (3) has effect—
- (a) when the notice is served, and
- (b) as if the repudiation were made by the authority.
§ (5) In the case of a disposal in respect of an interest (whether or not in pursuance of an option or contract falling within subparagraph (2) or (3)) the Secretary of State may purchase the interest concerned compulsorily.
§ (7) On completion of a compulsory purchase of an interest under sub-paragraph (5) the Secretary of State must transfer it to a person concerned with the running of a city academy.
§ (8) If the Secretary of State acquires an interest by compulsory purchase under sub-paragraph (5) he is entitled to recover from the authority an amount equal to the aggregate of—
- (a) the compensation agreed or awarded in respect of the purchase,
- (b) any interest payable by him in respect of the compensation, and
- (c) the costs and expenses incurred by him in connection with the making of the compulsory purchase order.
§ (9) The authority must provide the Secretary of State with such information as he may require it to provide in connection with a compulsory purchase under sub-paragraph (5).
§ 4.—(1) For the purposes of paragraphs 2 and 3—
- (a) references to a disposal in respect of an interest are to a disposal of the whole interest or of a lesser interest;
- (b) references to an acquisition in respect of an interest are to an acquisition of the whole interest or of a lesser interest.
§ (2) If the disposal referred to in paragraph 3(3) or (5) is a disposal of a lesser interest, the reference there to the interest concerned is to the lesser interest.