- (a) in subsection (2)(b) omit the words ", as defined by section 15(6) and (7) of the Education Act 1996".
- (b) in subsection (2) for paragraph (f) substitute—
"(f) to subscribe for or otherwise acquire shares in or securities of a company for the purpose of carrying on any such activities;", and.
§ (c) at the end insert—
§ "(5) For the purposes of subsection (2)(b) a person has a learning difficulty if—
- (a) he has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of persons of his age, or
- (b) he has a disability which either prevents or hinders him from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided by institutions within the higher education sector for persons of his age.
§ (6) But a person is not to be taken to have a learning difficulty solely because the language (or form of language) in which he is or will be taught is different from a language (or form of language) which has at any time been spoken in his home."889
2E. In section 128(1)(b) of that Act (dissolution of higher education corporations) for sub-paragraph (v) substitute—
(v) the Learning and Skills Council for England or the National Council for Education and Training for Wales.
2F. For section 161(1)(b) of that Act (interpretation: further or higher education functions) substitute—
(b) references to the further or higher education functions of a local education authority are references to the functions of the authority (except in so far as they relate to secondary education) under sections 15A and 15B of the Education Act 1996 (post-16 education) and section 120 of this Act (higher education);".
§ 2G. In section 218(2B) of that Act (school and further and higher education regulations)—
- (a) for "or city colleges for the technology of the arts" substitute ", city colleges for the technology of the arts or city academies", and
- (b) after "such colleges" insert "or academies".