§ 56 Schedule 7, page 50, line 1, leave out paragraph 12.
§ 57 After Schedule 7, insert the following new Schedule—
§ Regulation of charges on property
§ 2. In section 20(2)(e) of the 1974 Act (regulation of charge on property)—
- (a) after the words "receiving advice or assistance or legal aid" there shall be inserted the words "and regulating the release or postponement of the enforcement of any charge (however created) for the benefit of the legal aid fund": and
- (b) at the end there shall be inserted the words ": and
(iii) requiring interest to be charged at a prescribed rate in circumstances where enforcement of a charge for the benefit of the legal aid fund is postponed".
3. In section 39 of the 1974 Act, for subsection (3) (fair remuneration in criminal and certain other legal aid cases) there shall be substituted the following—
(3) The Lord Chancellor, in making regulations under this section as to the amounts payable to counsel or solicitors undertaking any description of legal aid work under this Part of this Act, shall have regard, among the matters which are relevant, to—
§ 4.—(1) In Schedule 2 to the 1974 Act (remuneration in civil legal aid cases)—
- (a) in paragraph 1(1), for the words "95 per cent. of the" there shall be substituted the words "the full"; and
- (b) in paragraph 2(1), for the words "95 per cent. of the" there shall be substituted the words "the full".
§ (2) The amendments made by this paragraph have effect in relation to any case in which the order or direction for taxation is made on or after the date on which this Act is passed.'.
§ The Lord Chancellor
My Lords, I spoke to Amendments Nos. 56 and 57 when I moved Amendment No. 28. I beg to move.
§ Moved, That the House do agree with the Commons in their Amendments Nos. 56 and 57.—(The Lord Chancellor.)
§ On Question, Motion agreed to.