THE CHAIRMAN OF COMMITTEES (THE EARL OF DONOUGHMORE)
My Lords, I beg to make the Motion which stands in my name covering the alterations, as printed, in the Standing Orders. I think I can describe them truthfully as little more than drafting Amendments, with one exception. They are drafting Amendments caused by the fact that we now have a Ministry of Transport as well as a Board of Trade, so it is necessary that deposits of Bills should be made before the proper Department when tile time comes round later in the year. The exception is the one after 36A. I propose there a new Standing Order 36B. This makes a Standing Order of what hitherto has really been a Sessional Order. Subject to saying this, and adding that if there is any further point in detail which your Lordships want me to explain on any of these Amendments I shall be happy to do so, I beg to move.
§ Moved, That the Standing Orders relative to Private Bills be amended as follows:
§ 25A. Leave out "Board of Trade" and insert "Ministry of Transport."
§ 26. Leave out "Harbour Department."
§ 27. Leave out "Railway, Tramway and Canal Bills" and insert "Bills relating to any matters within the cognizance of the Ministry of Transport under Section two of the Ministry of Transport Act, 1919."
§ Leave out "Board of Trade" and insert "Ministry of Transport."
§ 33. Leave out paragraphs (4) and (4A) and insert:
- "(4) Of every Local Bill relating to railways, tramways, canals, waterways or inland navigations, roads, bridges or ferries, or vehicles or traffic
120 thereon, or to harbours, docks or piers, at the office of the Ministry of Transport.
- "(4A) Of every Bill relating to gas, water or patents, or to the generation or supply of electricity, or for incorporating or giving powers to any company, at the office of the Board of Trade.
- "(4B) Of every Bill relating to the generation or supply of electricity, at the office of the Commissioners of Works."
§ In paragraph (5) leave out "the Harbour Department of."
§ 36A. After "Trade" where that word twice occurs insert "the Ministry of Transport."
§ After 36A insert the following new Order:
- "36B.On or before the thirty-first day of December copies of the estimate for any works proposed to be authorised by any Bill in relation to any matters within the cognizance of the Ministry of Transport under Section two of the Ministry of Transport Act, 1919, shall be deposited at the office of that Ministry."
§ 90, 108, 113, 114, 115, 117, 122, 123A, 128, 133A. Leave out "Board of Trade" and insert "Ministry of Transport."
§ 115. Leave out "Board" where that word last occurs, and insert Ministry."
§ 134. After "Trade" insert "or the Ministry of Transport."
§ After Standing Order 93, insert the following new Order:
- "93A. When the time allowed (a) for presenting Petitions under Standing Orders 92 and 93, other than Petitions required to be presented on or before the 19th of February; or (b) for the Second Reading of any Bill under Standing Order 91, expires during any adjournment of the House, the time shall be extended to the first day on which the House sits after the adjournment."—(The Chairman of Committees.)
§ On Question, Motion agreed to.