THE CHAIRMAN OF COMMITTEES (The Earl of ONSLOW)
My Lords, I have to ask your Lordships, as is customary towards the end of every session, to agree to certain Amendments in the Standing Orders. I need hardly say that if any noble Lord desires an explanation of any of the points I shall be happy to give it. But I think it would suit the convenience of your Lordships if I formally moved that the Motion standing in my name be agreed to.
Moved, "That the Standing Orders be amended as follows:"
NOTE.—The words in SMALL CAPITALS are to be omitted, and the words printed inItalics are to be inserted.
5. In cases of Bills for constructing gasworks or sewage works, or works for the manufacture or conversion of the 711 residual products of gas or sewage, or for making or constructing a sewage farm, cemetery, burial ground, crematorium, destructor OR hospital for infectious diseaseor station for generating electrical energy, the notices shall set forth and specify the lands in or upon which such gasworks, sewage works, works for the manufacture or conversion of residual products, farms cemetry, burial ground, crematorium, destructor OR hospitalor generating station, is intended to be made or constructed.
THIS ORDER SHALL APPLY IN THE CASE OF EVERY BILL IN WHICH COMPULSORY POWERS ARE SOUGHT, OF TAKING LANDS FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF A STATION FOR GENERATING ELECTRICITY.
15. On or before the fifteenth day of December immediately preceding the application for a Bill for constructing gasworks or sewage works, or works for the manufacture or conversion of the residual products of gas or sewage, or for constructing any station for generating electrical energy ON SPECIFIED LANDS, OR FOR MAKING OR CONSTRUCTING A sewage farm, cemetery, burial ground, crematorium, destructor, or hospital for infectious disease, notice shall be served upon the owner and lessee of every dwelling-house situate within three hundred yards of the lands in or upon which such gasworks, sewage works, works for the manufacture or conversion of residual products, generating station, farm, cemetery, burial ground, crematorium, destructor or hospital, may be made or constructed.
26. In cases where tidal lands within the ordinary spring tides are to be acquired or in any way affected a copy of the plans and sections shall on or before the thirtieth day of November, immediately preceding the application for the Bill, be deposited at the Office of the Harbour Department, Board of Trade, marked "Tidal Waters"; and on such copy all tidal waters shall be coloured blue, and, if the plans include any bridge across tidal waters, the dimensions as regards span and headway of the nearest bridges, if any, across the same tidal waters, above and below the proposed new bridge, shall be marked thereon; and in all such cases, such plans and sections shall be accompanied by an Ordnance map of the country over which the works are proposed to extend, or are 712 to be carried, with their position and extent, or route accurately laid down thereon:
And, in cases where the work is to be situate on the banks, foreshore, or bed of any river,so much of the plans and sections as relates to such river, a copy of the plans and sections shall, on or before the thirtieth day of November immediately preceding the application for the Bill, be deposited—
and, if the plans include any tunnel under or bridge over the river, the depth of such tunnel below the bed of the river, or the span and headway of such bridge shall be marked thereon; and such plans shall be accompanied by an Ordnance map of the country over which the works are proposed to extend or are to be carried, with their position and extent or route accurately laid down thereon.
- If the river is in England or Wales, at the Office of the Board of Agriculture and Fisheries; or
- If the River is in Scotland, at the Office of the Secretary for Scotland; or
- If the river is in Ireland, at the Irish Office, Westminster, and at the Office of the Department of Agriculture and Technical Instruction for Ireland, Dublin; and
- IF THE RIVER IS SUBJECT TO A BOARD OF CONSERVATORSIf there be a Board of Conservancy of the river at the Office also of such Board;
29. Where under the powers of any Bill, any work is intended to be made, maintained, varied, extended, or enlarged, or any lands or houses may be taken or used compulsorily, or an improvement charge may be imposed, a copy of so much of the said plans and sections as relates to any of the areas hereinafter mentioned, together with a copy of so much of the book of reference as relates to such area, shall, on or before the thirtieth day of November, be deposited with the officer respectively hereinafter mentioned, that is to say, in the case of—
- The City of London, or any borough in England or Wales, whether Metropolitan or other, with the town clerk of such city or borough;
- Any urban district in England or Wales (not being a borough)or any rural district, with the clerk of the district council;
- Any parish in England or Wales having a parish council, with the clerk of the parish council, or, if there is no clerk, with the chairman of that council;
- Any parish in England or Wales comprised in a rural district. and not having a parish council, with the chairman of the parish meeting, AND WITH THE CLERK OF THE DISTRICT COUNCIL;
- Any burgh in Scotland, with the town clerk;
- Any parish in Scotland, outside a burgh, with the clerk of the parish council;
- Any urban or rural district in Ireland, with the clerk of the district council.
Deposits on or before the 21st of December.
33. On or before the 21st day of December a printed copy shall be deposited
- Of every Local Bill at the Office of his Majesty's Treasury AT THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT BOARD and at the General Post Office;
- Ofevery Local Bill relating to England and Wales, at the Office of the Secretary of State for the Home Department and at the Office of Local Government Board;
- Of every Local Bill relating to Scotland or Ireland, at the Office of the Secretary for Scotland, or the Irish Office, as the case may be;
- Of every Local Bill relating to railways, tramways, canals, gas, water, patents, or electric lighting, or for incorporating or giving powers to any company, at the Office of the Board of Trade;
- Of every Local Bill relating to any dock, harbour, navigation, pier, port, or tidal waters, at the Office of the Harbour Department of the Board of Trade, marked "Tidal Waters";
- Of every Bill of the Second Class whereby it is intended
714 to authorise the construction of any work on the banks, foreshore, or bed of any river, at the Office of the Board of Agriculture and Fisheries, and at the Office of the Conservators of the River (if any);
- Of every Local Bill containing provisions with respect to the use of weights and measures, or the inspection or verification of the same at the Standards Department of the Board of Trade;
(7) OF EVERY LOCAL BILL.
- RELATING TO A LOCAL COURT OR STIPENDIARY MAGISTRATE;
- WHEREBY POWER IS SOUGHT TO TAKE ANY CHURCH YARD, BURIAL GROUND, CEMETERY, OR ANY PART THEREOF, OR TO DISTURB THE BODIES INTERRED THEREIN, OR TO TAKE ANY COMMON OR COMMONABLE LAND;
- PROMOTED BY ANY MUNICIPAL OR OTHER LOCAL AUTHORITY, BY WHICH IT IS PROPOSED TO CREATE POWERS RELATING TO POLICE OR SANITARY REGULATIONS WHICH DEVIATE FROM, OR ARE IN EXTENSION OF, OR REPUGNANT TO THE GENERAL LAW,
AT THE OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY OF STATE FOR THE HOME DEPARTMENT;
(10) OF EVERY BILL AFFECTING ANY EDUCATIONAL ENDOWMENT OR INSTITUTION OR SETTING UP OR TAKING POWER TO SET UP ANY EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION OR INSTITUTION, OR WHEREBY THE BOUNDARIES OF ANY SCHOOL DISTRICT OR THE JURISDICTION OF ANY SCHOOL BOARD ARE AFFECTED, AT THE OFFICE OF THE BOARD OF EDUCATION;
(10)Of every Bill relating to England or Wales which in any manner affects education or educational endowments or alters the boundary of any county, borough, or urban district, or affects the incidence of any local rate out of which any educational expenditure is payable, at the Office of the Board of Education. 715 34a. On or before the twenty-first day of December a printed copy of every Local Billof the first class which proposes to authorise any persons other than the road authority to break up or otherwise interfere with any streets or roads shall be deposited at the office of the road authority.
38. Where any Bill contains or revives or extends power to take compulsorily or by agreement any land in any local area as defined for the purposes of this Order, and such taking involves or may involve the taking in that area of any house or houses occupied either wholly or partially by thirty or more persons of the working class, whether as tenants or lodgers, the Promotors shall deposit in the Office of the Clerk of the Parliaments, and at the Office of the Central Authority, on or before the twenty-first day of December, a statement giving the description and postal address of each of such houses, its number on the deposited plans, the parish in which it is situate, and the number (so far as can be ascertained) of persons of the working class residing in it, and also a copy of so much of the deposited plans (if any) as relates thereto.
This order shall not apply where a statement in pursuance of this Order was deposited in respect of the Act, the powers of which are proposed to be revived or extended.
For the purposes of this Order—
The expression "Central Authority" means as regards LONDON THE SECRETARY OF STATE FOR THE HOME DEPARTMENT, AND AS REGARDS England and Wales (OUTSIDE LONDON), the Local Government Board, as regards Scotland the Secretary for Scotland, and as regards Ireland the Local Government Board for Ireland:
The expression "Bill" includes a Bill confirming a Provisional Order.
7. PROVISIONS RELATING TO THEConsents of Proprietors or Members of CompaniesALREADY CONSTITUTED,and of Persons named as Directors.
62. In the case of every Bill, whether originating in this House or in the House of Commons, promoted by a company 716 already constituted by Act of Parliament, proof shall be given before the Examiner, before the Second Reading of the Bill in this House, that the following requirements have been complied with, and the Examiner shall report accordingly:—
71a. Any Local Bill or Provisional Order Confirmation Bill brought from the House of Commons in which Amendments have been made during their progress through this House shall, if the Chairman of Committee& thinks fit, be referred to the Examiners to, consider and report whether the Standing Orders have been complied with in respect of such Amendments.
75. Every memorial complaining of non-compliance with the Standing Orders in respect of any Bill referred to the Examiners after First Reading, or in respect of any petition for additional provision,or by direction of the Chairman of Committees, shall, together with two copies thereof, be deposited in the Office of the Clerk of the Parliaments before twelve o'clock on the day preceeding that appointed for the examination.
96. Every Local Billwhich is opposed and every OR Provisional Order Confirmation Billas respects any opposed Orders scheduled thereto WHICH IS OPPOSED shall be referred to a Select Committe of five.
Cemeteries, Gasworks, &c.
139. In every Bill for making or constructing gasworks or sewage works or works for the manufacture or conversion of the residual products of gas or sewage, or for making or constructing, altering, or enlarging any sewage farm, cemetery, burial ground, crematorium, destructor, OR hospital for infectious diseases,or station for generating electric power, there shall be inserted a clause defining the lands in or upon which such gasworks, sewage works, farm, cemetery, burial ground, crematorium, destructor, OR hospital,or generating station may he made or constructed.
IN THE CASE OF A BILL AUTHORISING THE GENERATION, SUPPLY, OR USE OF ELECTRICITY THERE SHALL BE INSERTED EITHER A CLAUSE DEFINING THE LANDS IN OR UPON WHICH ANY STATION FOR GENERATING ELECTRICITY MAY BE CONSTRUCTED OR A CLAUSE TO THE EFFECT THAT THE UNDERTAKERS SHALL NOT BE 717 EXONERATED FROM ANY INDICTMENT, ACTION OR OTHER PROCEEDING FOR NUISANCE IN THE EVENT OF ANY NUISANCE BEING CAUSED OR PERMITTED BY THEM ON THE LANDS ON WHICH ANY SUCH GENERATING STATION MAY BE CONSTRUCTED.
143. A copy of every local Bill, if amended in Committee, shall, as so amended, be deposited at every office at which it was deposited underStanding Orders 33 and 34, or would be required to be deposited under those Orders if it had been originally introduced as amended in Committee. 143. A COPY OF EVERY RAILWAY BILL, TRAM-ROAD BILL, AND TRAMWAY BILL, IF AMENDED IN COMMITTEE, SHALL, AS SO AMENDED, BE DEPOSITED AT THE OFFCE OF THE BOARD OF TRADE three days before the Bill is read a third time, and proof of compliance with this Order shall be given by depositing a certificate from that Board in the Office of the Clerk of the Parliaments.
143. A COPY OF EVERY RAILWAY BILL, TRAMROAD BILL, AND TRAMWAY BILL, IF AMENDED IN COMMITTEE, SHALL, AS SO AMENDED, BE DEPOSITED AT THE OFFICE OF THE BOARD OF TRADE THREE DAYS BEFORE THE BILL IS READ A THIRD TIME, AND PROOF OF COMPLIANCE WITH THIS ORDER SHALL BE GIVEN BY DEPOSITING A CERTIFICATE FROM THAT BOARD IN THE OFFICE OF THE CLERK OF THE PARLIAMENTS.
103a. A COPY OF EVERY LOCAL BILL, IF AMENDED IN COMMITTEE, SHALL, AS SO AMENDED, BE DEPOSITED AT THE OFFICE OF HIS MAJESTY'S TREASURY AT THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT BOARD, AND AT THE GENERAL POST OFFICE THREE DAYS BEFORE THE BILL IS READ A THIRD TIME.—(The Earl of Onslow.)
On Question, Motion agreed to.
Standing Orders amended accordingly, and to be printed as amended. (No. 194.)