§ 2.—(1) for the purposes of this Schedule the exercise or proposed exercise of a function to which this Schedule applies meets the competition test unless it—
- (a) has or is likely to have a significantly adverse effect on competition, and
- (b) is not justified by sub-paragraph (2).
§ (2) The exercise or proposed exercise of a function is justified if—
- (a) it is with a view to achieving one or more of the purposes specified in sub-paragraph (3), and
- (b) its effect on competition is or is likely to be proportionate to the achievement of that purpose or any of those purposes.
§ (3) The purposes referred to in sub-paragraph (2) are—
- (a) securing improvements in the quality of vehicles or facilities used for or in connection with the provision of local services,
- (b) securing other improvements in local services of substantial benefit to users of local services, and
- (c) reducing or limiting traffic congestion, noise or air pollution.