§ '(1) The Secretary of State may serve a notice under this section (a "prohibition notice") on any person he has reason to believe—
- (a) is proposing to import or acquire, release or market any genetically modified organisms; or
- (b) is keeping any such organisms;
§ (2) A prohibition notice may prohibit a person from doing an act mentioned in subsection (1)(a) above in relation to any genetically modified organisms or from continuing to keep them; and the prohibition may apply in all cases or circumstances or in such cases or circumstances as may be specified in the notice.
§ (3) A prohibition notice shall—
- (a) state that the Secretary of State is, in relation to the person on whom it is served, of the opinion mentioned in subsection (1) above;
- (b) specify what is, or is to be, prohibited by the notice; and
- (c) if the prohibition is not to be effective on being served, specify the date on whch the prohibition is to take effect;
§ (4) Where a person is prohibited by a prohibition notice from continuing to keep any genetically modified organisms, he shall dispose of them as quickly and safely as practicable or, if the notice so provides, as may be specified in the notice.
§ (5) The Secretary of State may at any time withdraw a prohibition notice served on any person by notice given to that person.'.—[Mr. Trippier]824
§ Brought up, read the First and Second time, and added to the Bill.