§ 18A. (1) The registration officer may require any person whom he reasonably believes is, has been or is about to be resident in the registration area to supply to him such information—
- (a) as the registration officer may reasonably require for the purposes of the exercise of his functions under this Act; and
- (b) as is in the possession or control of such person.
§ (2) A person required to supply any information in pursuance of subsection (1) above shall supply the information within such period, not being less than 21 days, as the registration officer may require.
§ (3) Subsections (10) to (12) of section 17 of this Act shall have effect for the purposes of this section as they have for the purposes of that section; and for the purposes of this section any reference in those subsections—
- (a) to a responsible person shall be construed as a reference to a person required to supply information under subsection (1) above;
- (b) to the prescribed period shall be construed as a reference to the period mentioned in subsection (2) above; and
- (c) to a requirement under subsection (5) shall be construed as a reference to a requirement under subsection (1) above.".'
No. 96, in page 113, line 7, at end insert—
`16.—(1) Section 20 of that Act (inspection of register) shall be amended as follows.
§ (2) In paragraph (a) of subsection (2) for sub-paragraphs (i), (ii) and (iii) there shall be substituted the following paragraphs—
- "(i) the addresses of premises in the registration area;
- (ii) the name of any person appearing in an entry relating to such premises (but not so as to enable him to ascertain whether that person resides at the address of such premises); and
- (iii) the collective community charge multiplier determined for the time being in relation to any premises (other than premises of such class or classes as may be prescribed) in respect of which a collective community charge is payable."
(3) After paragraph (c) of that subsection there shall be inserted the following paragraph—
(d) any such other person as may be prescribed shall be entitled to inspect the register to such extent and for such purposes as may be prescribed.
(4) After subsection (3) there shall be inserted the following subsections—
(3A) Without prejudice to subsection (3) above, the register shall be available for inspection to the extent permitted by subsections (1) and (2) above in such circumstances, subject to such restrictions and in such other places in the registration area as may be prescribed. (3B) In relation to as much of the register as is kept otherwise than in documentary form, a right of inspection conferred by this section is a right to inspect the information in the register in legible form.
(5) for subsections (4) and (5) there shall be substituted the following subsections—
(4) The Secretary of State may, by regulations, require the registration officer to make such extracts of the register, disclosing the information specified in sub-paragraphs (i) to (iii) of subsection (2)(a) above, as may be prescribed.
(5) Regulations made under subsection (4) above may prescribe—
(a) such date or dates in each financial year on which an extract is to be made;
§ No. 97, in page 113, line 7, at end insert—
'17. In section 26(1) of that Act (interpretation) after the definition of "register" there shall be inserted the following—
`registered person' means a person who is registered in the register as being liable to pay any of the community charges, and cognate expressions shall be construed accordingly; ".'.
No. 98, in page 113, line 7, at end insert—
`18.—(1) Schedule 2 to that Act (Levy, collection, payment and recovery of community charges) shall be amended as follows.
(2) In paragraph 2(1) (demand notices) at the beginning there shall be inserted—
Subject to paragraph 2A below,".
(3) After paragraph 2 there shall be inserted the following paragraph—
2A. Where a person's liability to pay a community charge arises only by virtue of section 8(7) of this Act (joint and several liability)—
- (a) the levying authority shall not issue a demand notice before the date prescribed under paragraph 2(1) above; but
- (b) they shall issue such a notice at such time as it appears to them that they will be unable to recover payment of the community charge from any other person who is liable to pay the charge.".
§ (4) In paragraph 3 (appeals against demand notices) in sub-paragraph (a) after the word "against" there shall be inserted the words—
- "(i) where the liability to pay the community charge is stated to be by virtue of section 8(7) of this Act (joint and several liability), such liability, and
- (ii) in every case,".
§ (5) In paragraph 4 (payment of community charges)—
- (a) in sub-paragraph (3) at the beginning there shall be inserted the words "Subject to sub-paragraph (8) below"; and
- (b) in sub-paragraph (8) at the end there shall be added the words "or on such other day in that month as the levying authority may determine".
§ (6) In paragraph 5 (arrangements with housing bodies) at the end there shall be added the following sub-paragraph—
§ "(7) No document issued by a housing body in pursuance of an arrangement made under this paragraph to a person liable to pay a community charge or any instalment thereof shall contain or refer to arrangements for any payment other than the payment of such community charge or instalment."
§ (7) In paragraph 6 (accounting or district community charges)—
- (a) for sub-paragraph (3) there shall be substituted the following sub-paragraph—
- "(3) The Secretary of State may prescribe what deductions are to be made in estimating and ascertaining the amount produced by each of the regional and district community charges levied by a regional council."; and
No. 233, in page 113, line 7, at end insert—
'19. In the said Schedule 2 in paragraph 4(7) for the words "rebate under or by virtue of section 24 of this Act from that amount or instalment" there shall be substituted the words "reduction in that amount or instalment in consequence of any community charge benefit under Part II of the Social Security Act 1986".'.
No. 236, in page 113, line 7, at end insert—
`.In the said Schedule 2, in paragraph 5 (arrangements with housing bodies) at the end of sub-paragraph (1) there shall be added the words "or of any of the authority's responsibilities as regards community charge benefit in pursuance of Part II of the Social Security Act 1986.'—[Mr. Lang.]