§ '(1) The Council shall have power to investigate any matter (not being a matter which it is its duty to investigate under section 32 above) which—
- (a) appears to it to be a matter to which subsection (2) below applies and not to be an enforcement matter within the meaning of that section; and
- (b) is the subject of a representation (other than one appearing to the Council to be frivolous) made to the Council by or on behalf of a person appearing to the Council to have an interest in that matter.
§ (2) This subsection applies to—
- (a) any matter relating to the design, manufacture, importation or supply (whether by sale, hire or loan or otherwise) of gas fittings used or intended to be used by persons supplied with gas by public gas suppliers;
- (b) any matter relating to the installation, maintenance or inspection of gas fittings used or intended to be used by such persons; and
- (c) any other matter relating to, or to anything connected with, the use by such persons of gas supplied by such a supplier or the use of such fittings.
§ (3) Where the Council has investigated any matter under this section, it may prepare a report on that matter and (subject to section 41 below) shall send a copy of any such report to such (if any) for the following persons as it thinks appropriate, that is to say—
- (a) any person to whom the report refers or who (whether or not he has made a representation to the Council) appears to the Council to have an interest in the matter to which the report relates;
- (b) the Director General of Fair Trading or any person whose functions under any enactment appear to the Council to be exercisable in relation to that matter;
- (c) any person who appears to the Council to be a person who ought to take account of the report in determining how to act in relation to that matter;
§ Brought up, and read the First time.3.57 pm
§ The Minister of State, Department of Energy (Mr. Alick Buchanan-Smith)
I beg to move, That the clause be read a Second time.