§ 21. Mr. Shinwell
asked the Minister of Transport if he will state the total volume of road development proposed for the County of Durham and the expenditure involved for the years 1963–64 and 1965.
§ Mr. Marples
The estimated total expenditure on new road construction and major improvement in County Durham is about £4.1 million in 1963–64 and £5.6 million in 1964–65.
I am circulating in the OFFICIAL REPORT a list of the larger schemes expected to be in progress in 1963–64 and 1964–65.
§ Mr. Shinwell
I am obliged to the right hon. Gentleman. Could he not speed up road development to provide additional employment? If he encounters labour or material difficulties, would he make contact with the contractors and trade unions concerned to organise labour and material forces so that we might get ahead with this?
§ Mr. Marples
This is being speeded up considerably in the North-East. I replied to my hon. Friend the Member 1297 for Sunderland, South (Mr. P. Williams) on 27th November and said that the effect of the speeding up of the road programme will be to increase the total expenditure on major improvements and now construction schemes in the North-East from £6 million this year to almost double next year and in the succeeding years. I can assure the right hon. Gentleman that there is great acceleration of the progress being made in that area.
§ Following is the list:
§ LIST OF SCHEMES COSTING OVER £100,000 EXPECTED TO BE IN PROGRESS IN 1963–64 AND 1964–65.
- A.1 Darlington By-pass.
§ Trunk Roads.
- A.19 Wolviston—Sheraton Improvement.
- A.184 Wardley—White Mare Pool Improvement.
- A.19 Shotton Diversion.
- A.19 Sheraton Diversion.
§ Classified Roads.
- Tyne Tunnel (with Northumberland).
- Durham City Relief Road (Stage I).
- Darlington Inner Ring Road (East).
- Sunderland Inner Ring Road (Stage I).
- South Shields, John Reid Road, West.
- Stockton-on-Tees Ring Road (North-West).
- Gateshead, West High Street—Park Lane link.
- A. 177 Holdforth Diversion—Hare and Hounds.
- A.1055 Leam Lane Improvement.
- Scotswood Bridge with Newcastle.