§ 48. Mr. Osborne
asked the Minister of Labour what are the names of the members of the Cost of Living Advisory Committee; how many times they have met since 21st November, 1946; what are its terms of reference; and when he expects to publish its report.
§ Mr. Isaacs
As the answer is rather long, I will, with the hon. Member's permission, circulate the names of the committee and the terms of reference in the OFFICIAL REPORT. The Committee has met once. I am not yet able to say when its report will be available.
§ Mr. Osborne
In view of the fact that something like three million workers' wages depend on the findings of this Committee, will the Minister hasten the report, and will he see that the new index figure corresponds to the increased cost of living?
§ Mr. Isaacs
I cannot ask the members of the Committee to get on any faster in this matter than we have already asked them to do, nor am I responsible for the decision in regard to the second part of the hon. Member's Question.
§ Following are the names and terms of reference:
§ The members of the Cost of Living Advisory Committee are as follow:
- Mr. R. M. Gould, C.B., Chief Industrial Commissioner, Ministry of Labour and National Service (Chairman);
- Professor R. G. D. Allen, Professor of Statistics, London University.
- Mr. O. W. Cromwell, representing the British Employers' Confederation.
- Sir Joseph Hallsworth, M.A., representing the Trades Union Congress General Council;
- Mr. J. A. Hough, M.A., representing the Co-operative Movement;
- Mrs. T. Cazalet Keir;
- Sir Frederick Leggett, C.B.;
- Mr. A. H. (Mathias, representing the Retail Distributive Trades Conference;
- Mr. J. R. N. Stone, C.B.E., Director of Department of Applied Economics, Cambridge;
- Miss D. S. Tomkinson, O.B.E., M.A., J.P., representing the National Federation of Women's institutes;
- Mr. R. B. Ainsworth, M.C., Director of Statistics, Ministry of Labour and National Service
- Mr. H. Anderson. Assistant Secretary, Ministry of Labour and National Insurance, Northern Ireland;
- Mr. G. H. Andrew, Assistant Secretary, Board of Tirade;
- Mr. J. J. W. Handford, C.B., O.B.E., Assistant Under-Secretary of State, Scottish Office;
- Mr. J. Stafford, Chief Statistician, Central Statistical Office.
§ The terms of reference are to advise the Minister of Labour and National Service on the basis of the official cost of living index figure and on matters connected therewith. The immediate question on which the committee has been asked to advise is whether any revision in the basis of the figure is practicable or desirable in present conditions and, if so, to advise as to the revision that might be made.