§ 65. Mr. Horabin
asked the Minister of Food the names of the persons employed on the livestock and meat control for the Launceston area; and the salaries they are paid?
§ Mr. W. S. Morrison
With the consent of the hon. Member, I will circulate a statement in the OFFICIAL REPORT.
§ Following is the statement:
§ Persons employed on the Meat and Livestock Control.
- 1. Direct employés of Ministry of Food:
- (a) Full-time.
- Mr. E. Rockey, Slaughterhouse Manager, £300 p.a.
- Mr. E. Uglow, Deputy Meat Agent, £275 P.a.
- (b) Part-time. 1 County Chairman of Auctioneers. 1 District Chairman of Auctioneers. 4 Certifying Officers and Deputies. 9 Livestock graders and deputies.
- The county and district chairmen of auctioneers and the certifying officers receive sums from "The Livestock Auctioneers' Pool for England and Wales "into which payments are made by the Ministry of Food in respect of the provision of facilities for and the work of purchasing fat stock on behalf of the Ministry.
- Livestock is graded for purchase by a grading committee of three, consisting of a livestock auctioneer, a butcher and a farmer, who have deputies who can be called upon to act in the absence of their principals.
- Livestock graders are paid a small headage fee for each animal examined.
- 2. Animals are slaughtered, and meat is distributed to butchers, by a contractor and a Wholesale Meat Supply Association, acting as agents of the Ministry of Food.