§ Mr. E. BROWN
I have had a preliminary report from the Divisional Inspector, from which it appears that a fire broke out in one of the main intake airways at Pooley Hall Colliery on the evening of Thursday, 12th July. I regret that two men were trapped inbye of the fire and were overcome by the fumes. Every effort was made to rescue them alive, but unfortunately without success. Their bodies were recovered on Friday evening. The House will, I am sure, join me in expressing deep sympathy with the relatives and friends of the deceased. Steps were immediately taken to seal off the burning area, and no difficulty is anticipated in dealing effectively with it. Investigations into the details of the occurrence are still proceeding.