§ 35. Captain SOTHERON-ESTCOURT
asked the Secretary to the Overseas Trade Department if he can give the names of the trade delegation which is visiting Denmark; and whether any officials of the Board of Trade are members of the delegation or are accompanying it in an official capacity?
§ Lieut.-Colonel J. COLVILLE (Secretary, Overseas Trade Department)
A delegation from the iron and steel industry arranged by the National Federation of Iron and Steel Manufacturers has visited Denmark and is now in Sweden, whence it will proceed to Norway. Another delegation from the coal industry is now in Copenhagen. Two officers of the Department of. Overseas Trade and an officer of the Mines Department accompanied the delegations to Denmark to render any necessary assistance. They are not, however, members of the delegations. As the lists of members of these delegations are rather long, I will, with my hon. Friend's permission, circulate them in the OFFICIAL REPORT.
§ Mr. LAWSON
Is the work of this delegation going to undo the damage which has been done by reason of the restrictions on imports in regard to Denmark?
§ Lieut.-Colonel COLVILLE
We regard it as highly important to recover the markets lost through the coal stoppage of 1926.
§ Mr. LAWSON
Is the hon. and gallant Gentleman a ware that there was a very good market until the recent restrictions were put on?
§ Following are the lists:
§ Iron and Steel Delegation
- Mr. F. C. Fairholme, Chairman, Vice-President of the Federation of British Industries; representing the Sheffield industries.
- Mr. G. Knaggs (pig iron).
- Mr. J. H. Pearce (galvanised sheets).
- Mr. J. I. Piggott, O.B.E., M.C. (heavy steel).
- Mr. G. R. Russell (pig iron).
- Mr. G. Burton Stewart (tubes).
§ Coal Delegation:
§ Coal Owners:
- Mr. Evan Williams, D.L., J.P., Chairman, President of the Mining Association.
- Mr. A. W. Archer (Yorkshire).
- Sir John Beynon, Bart., C.B.E. (South Wales).
- Mr. James Jack (Scotland).
- Mr. Ridley Warham, J.P. (Northumberland).
- Mr. S. E. D. Wilson (Durham).
§ Coal Exporters:
- Mr. Lindsay Carlow, President of the Coal Exporters' Federation.
- Mr. Sidney Little (Yorkshire).
- Mr. John Powell (South Wales).
- Mr. Alfred Rayner (North East Coast).
- Mr. H. B. Williams (Scotland).