§ 70. Mr. MUGGERIDGE
asked the First Commissioner of Works if he will supply a return of statues erected for memorial purposes in the streets of London for military officers and civilians who were distinguished in art, literature, science or public service other than military?
§ Mr. LANSBURY
I am circulating in the OFFICIAL REPORT a list of statues in 1438 the categories mentioned, which are under the charge of the Office of Works, having either been erected from money voted by Parliament or handed over after erection to my Department for maintenance.
§ Lieut. - Commander KENWORTHY
Will the right hon. Gentleman consider the question of reducing the number of some of these old statues?
§ Mr. MUGGERIDGE
Is my right hon. Friend satisfied that the varied genius and achievements of our country are adequately represented by these different monuments?
§ Following is the list:
§ Statue and Place.
- Nelson—Trafalgar Square.
- Sir Charles Napier—Trafalgar Square, S. W.
- Sir Henry Havelock—Trafalgar Square, S.E.
- General Gordon—Trafalgar Square, Centre.
- George Washington—Trafalgar Square, National Gallery lawn.
- Edith Cavell—St. Martin's Place.
- Florence Nightingale—Waterloo Place.
- Lord Herbert of Lea—Waterloo Place.
- Captain Scott—Carlton House Gardens.
- Lord Clyde—Carlton House Gardens.
- Sir John Franklin—Carlton House Gardens.
- Lord Lawrence—Carlton House Gardens.
- Sir John Burgoyne—Carlton House Gardens.
- Duke of York's Column—Carlton House Gardens.
- Captain Cook—The Mall.
- Lord Clive—King Charles Street.
- Duke of Cambridge—Whitehall.
- Duke of Devonshire—Whitehall.
- Sir Robert Peel—Parliament Square.
- Viscount Palmerston—Parliament Square.
- Earl of Derby—Parliament Square. Earl of Beaconsfield—Parliament Square.
- Oliver Cromwell—Parliament Square (Old Palace Gardens).
- George Canning—Parliament Square (Canning Enclosure).
- Abraham Lincoln—Parliament Square (Canning Enclosure).
- Duke of Wellington—Hyde Park Corner.
- Lord Napier of Magdala—Queen's Gate (Upper End).
- Sir J. E. Millais—Tate Gallery Gardens.
- Sir James McGrigor—Army Medical College, Millbank.
- Samuel Plimsoll—Victoria Embankment.