§ 54. Dr. HASTINGS
asked the Minister of Agriculture if he can say, having regard to the fact that of the 241,000 bovine animals examined during 1929 under the Tuberculosis Order, 1925, 2.8 per cent. only were condemned to be slaughtered, whether all the remaining 97.2 per cent. were entirely free from tuberculosis; and, if not, whether he can give any estimate of the probable number infected?
§ Mr. N. BUXTON
The total number of animals on premises, on which cases of tuberculosis were reported, under the Tuberculosis Order, 1925, during 1929, was 621,396. Of this total, 241,252 animals were examined by veterinary inspectors. Of these, 15,732 animals were condemned and slaughtered, representing 2.8 per cent. of the total number of animals on the premises or 6.5 per cent. of the total number examined. The remainder were not necessarily entirely free from tuberculosis, but they presented no symptoms of a nature to bring them within the scope of the Tuberculosis Order as to compulsory slaughter. As regards the last part of the question, there is no information upon which an estimate could be based of the proportion which might be infected.
§ Dr. HASTINGS
Has the right hon. Gentleman reason to believe that all those that were not ordered to be slaughtered were free from tuberculosis?
§ Mr. BUXTON
One can in general assume that cases of the nature that come under the Order are reported, and therefore examined.
Can we take it that those animals which were examined, were examined as a result of suspicion, and that therefore it would not be fair to take even this low figure of 2 per cent. as applicable to animals in general throughout the country?