§ Mr. JOHN O'CONNOR
I wish to ask the Vice-President of the Department of Agriculture a question, of which I have given him private notice—it is: Whether any decision has been arrived at by his Department as to the opening of the Port of Dublin for the exportation of cattle for slaughter or otherwise?
§ Mr. T. W. RUSSELL (Vice-President of the Department of Agriculture, Ireland)
As the result of a conference between the representatives of the two parties concerned, it has been decided to open the 769 Port of Dublin at an early date. Some arrangements have to be made on both sides of the Channel as to the area from which the cattle shall be drawn. No time will be lost, and I hope on Thursday to make a definite announcement as to the actual date.
§ Mr. KILBRIDE
Are we to take it that the Thursday morning cattle in Dublin market will not be allowed to land here?
§ Mr. RUSSELL
We will not be able to open the port of Dublin on Thursday. The arrangements cannot be made in that time.
§ Mr. O'SHEE
At the same time, on Thursday, will the right hon. Gentleman make some announcement with regard to the port of Waterford?
§ Mr. RUSSELL
The difficulty about Waterford is that though it is itself entirely clear of disease, it lies between Cork and Tipperary, and both of those counties have been seriously affected by the disease, and I am not prepared at present to take the risk of opening the port of Waterford.