§ "Page 34, after clause 61, insert the following clause—
- "(1) Any act to be done or instrument to be executed, by or on behalf of the Local Government Board, may be done or executed in the name of that board, by the president or by the under secretary to the Lord Lieutenant, or by the vice-president, or by any person appointed by the president or vice-president to act on behalf of the vice-president.
- "(2) A rule, order, or regulation made by the Local Government Board shall be valid if it is made under the seal of the board, and signed by any of the above-mentioned persons.
- "(3) Every document purporting to be a rule, order, or regulation of the Local Government Board, and to be sealed and signed as above mentioned, shall be received in evidence, and be deemed to be a rule, order, or regulation duly made by the Board, unless the contrary is shown.
- "(4) the Local Government Board may distribute the business of the board among the
631 several members thereof in such manner as the board may think right.
- "(5) The President of the Local Government Board may appoint an inspector or auditor of the board, or other person, to be temporarily a commissioner of the board, for the purpose of aiding in the additional work of the board in bringing this Act into operation, and in carrying it into effect, and superintending the working thereof during a limited period. Such appointment shall be in the first instance for one year after the passing of this Act, but may, with the consent of the Treasury, be continued from year to year for a total term not exceeding five years after the passing of this Act.
- "(6) There shall be paid to the temporary commissioner, out of moneys provided by Parliament, such sum as the Treasury may sanction, not exceeding, together with any other remuneration received by him, the remuneration paid to a commissioner of the board."—(Mr. Gerald Balfour.)
§ Clause read a second time, and added to the Bill without discussion.